BOOKS FOR MDS PREPARATION
Latest posts by Dr Suresh Shenvi (see all)
- THE SEVEN STEPS TO HIGHER DENTAL EXAMINATIONS - April 3, 2016
- LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN NEET EXAMS AND HOW TO PREPARE FOR IT - April 3, 2016
- MDS PREPARATION : DURING INTERNSHIP - March 13, 2012
The following is an exhaustive list of books required to study for Dental Pre Post Graduation Exams in India.
General texts and preclinical dental books
1. Dental practitioner handbook series (around 20 books on various fields of dentistry. Killey and Kay oral surgery texts are a part of the series)
2. Clinical dentistry by Rowe (good comprehensive reference for all clinical dentistry topics, but don’t expect it to be exhaustive)
3. Oxford textbook of clinical dentistry
4. *Oral histology embryology by ten cate. (Standard Textbook)
5. Orban’s oral histology (Nice old text but not much of changes over time)
6. *Ash and wheeler’s tooth morphology Anatomy and occlusion
7. *Disorders of TMJ and occlusion: Okeson (very good one and standard. I would add it as bible even if its not a text for normal syllabus because the Questions in PG entrance from TMJ are increasing and this is a standard latest text for that!)
8. Fergusson: oral biology
9. Oral microbiology and immunology (I don’t remember the author…a green covered text)
10. *Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials (Standard Textbook)
11. Kenneth J. Anusavice
12. *Craig and power’s restorative dental materials (Standard Textbook)
13. Skinner’s dental materials old ed.1969 I think…refer it. And u will know why I add such an old text!
14. Clinical manipulation of dental materials by Smith et al.
Oral medicine & radiology
1. Burkett’s oral medicine
2. *Goaz and white dental radiology
3. Dental Radiography: Principles and Techniques (Reference Book)
4. By Joen I. Haring, Laura Jansen (Reference Book)
5. Oral Radiology Principles and Interpretation (Reference Book)
6. By S C White, M J Pharoah (Reference Book)
1. *Shafer’s oral pathology. (Standard TextBook for oral path.)
2. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 2nd Edition
3. By Brad Neville, Douglas D. Damm, Carl M. Allen and Jerry Bouquot
4. Regezi oral pathology
5. Oral Pathology (3rd Edition) by J V Soames & J C Southam (Reference Book)
6. Diseases of the Oral Mucosa (2nd Edition) by M Strassburg, Manfred & G Knolle (Reference Book)
7. *Handbook of Oral Disease: Diagnosis and Management by Crispian Scully (Reference Book)
8. Spouge’s text published in 1973 is and is considered a good reference (Reference Book)
1. *Oral surgery vol: 1&2 by LASKIN
2. *Local anaesthesia by MALAMED
3. *All books on oral surgery by KILLEY and KAY.
4. Anderson’s dental trauma
5. Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial surgery (4th Edition) (Reference Book)
6. Larry J. Peterson (Editor), Edward Ellis (Editor) & James R Hupp (Reference Book)
7. An Outline of Oral surgery Parts I & II by G R Seward, M Harris, D A McGowan, H C Killey & L W Kay (Reference Book)
8. Handbook of Third Molar surgery by George Dimitroulis, MDSc, FDSRCS, FFDRCS, FRACDS (Reference Book)
9. Rowe and wiliams oral and maxillofacial injuries. (Reference Book)
10. Series of books by fonseca (Reference Book)
1. *Fundamentals of Tooth Preparations for Cast Metal and Porcelain Restorations
2. Herbert T., Jr. Shillingburg
3. *Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics
4. Stephen F. Rosenstiel
5. *Boucher’s Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients
6. George A. Zarb
7. *Winkler essentials of complete denture prosthodontics
8. *Heart well and rahn syllabus of complete dentures
9. *Removable partial prosthodontics by Stewart
10. *Mc cracken’s removable partial denture
11. Fenn prosthodontics
1. *Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology
2. By: Michael G. Newman, Henry H. Takei, and Fermin A. Carranza
3. Eley and Manson periodontics
4. *Fundamentals of Periodontal Instrumentation
5. By: Jill S. Nield-Gehrig
1. Contemporary Orthodontics
2. William R. Proffit
3. *Graber’s orthodontics
4. *Essentials of facial growth by enlow and Hans
1. *Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Dentistry
2. John A. Yagiela
3. Medical pharmacology 5th ed. by KD Tripathi
4. Malamed local anaesthesia
1. *Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent (8th Edition)
2. By Ralph E. McDonald (Editor), David R. Avery (Contributor)
3. Paediatric Dentistry: Infancy Through Adolescence (3rd Edition)
4. By J R Pinkham, P S Casamassimo, H W Fields Jr., D J McTigue, A J. Nowak
5. Shoba Tandon.
Conservative dentistry and endodontics
1. *Sturdevent’s operative dentistry (Standard TextBook for operative dentistry)
2. Pathways to the pulp
3. COHEN and BURNS
4. *Ingle’s endodontics (Standard TextBook for endo)
5. Grossmann endodontics
6. Endodontic Therapy (Reference Book)
7. Franklin S. Weine (Reference Book)
8. Marzook’s operative dentistry (Reference Book)
9. Charbeneau (Reference Book)
10. Guttman surgical endodontics. (Reference Book)
1. *Soben Peter.
1. All books given as Standard Textbook and with asterisks (*) are worth reading cover to cover.
2. Refer the latest editions available as much as possible and don’t forget to go through the old ed. at least once for important chapters.
3. Don’t loose heart at the volume of books mentioned. You already read through most of them and so it’s easy to orient yourself.
4. Where I don’t remember the exact name of the text I put forth the at least one author’s name and vice versa. Please bear with this.
5. The books given under the heading are standard texts to be followed and the references may be used for clarifications or in-depth understanding or for selective topics.
6. I will shortly come up with a list of standard references for selective important topics in all clinical dental specialities so buddies come up with a list of important topics in PG entrance point of view.