Every dental student now a days is aware of ever increasing dental conferences and CDE courses. Students doing MDS are more aware of it as it has become a part of the curriculum to attend them and also to present papers/posters. Even BDS students in all the 4 years are paying and registering for the conferences. Hundreds of conferences and CDE courses are carried out each year all over India. Dental companies sponsor heavily in these events to promote their dental materials and equipments. Publishing houses also put a lot of effort to popularise their dental books.
IN THIS ARTICLE WE ARE GOING TO DISCUSS THREE QUESTIONS ???
- WHAT IS THE USE OF DENTAL CONFERENCES AND CDE COURSES FOR THE DENTAL STUDENTS ?
- DO THESE COURSES HELP IN THE CAREER OF THE DENTAL STUDENT IN INDIA & ABROAD ?
- WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THESE COURSES FOR WORKING ABROAD AS A DENTIST ???
Welcome to all the readers. A successful career as a dentist in India or a Road to USA as a dentist is not easy but the rewards are seemingly high. But it all depends on correct information and timing.
This article is by Dr.Mayank Kakkar who has completed his BDS. He is now in the process of preparing for the NBDE exams for qualifying to study DDS in USA and settle as a dentist over there. We at dentalorg.com have been noticing this trend for past few years where Indian dentists who are daring or having proper resources are opting to migrate to USA to work as a dentist. Well dentists being one of the most highly paid jobs in USA is one of the motivation.
But the road to USA as a dentist from India is not easy. So its always nice when a fellow dentist shares the information for the benefit of the dental community. Dr.Mayank Kakkar is a very active dentist who always tries to stay updated with the current advances in dentistry. In this current article he mostly talks about the benefits of all the dental conferences & CDE courses. He is explaining how these events can help us to a better dental career both in India and abroad (USA)
We wish him all the best for his USA dreams. In case of any doubts regarding the article, readers can contact the author at ” email@example.com “
I hand over the article now to Dr.Mayank …
USE OF CONFERENCES IN DENTAL CAREER IN
INDIA & USA
Hello guys…there are many article that would have probably helped you in getting information about NBDE exam. Also there are may articles that already tell you how to study for Indian and abroad Dental Exams.
Well guys, I am an aspirant of DDS and right now preparing for NBDE and going to give my exam in the month of November. So I would like to share with you few facts about this exams which you are not aware of.
As the saying goes ” All that glitters is not gold “
Whether in higher dental education (MDS) in India or DDS in abroad, success in these depends on the same elementary factors. To settle in India as a dentist MDS degree is becoming a necessity. Also there are students like me who are willing to try our career in dentistry abroad.
- I don’t know how many people are aware that NBDE is a eligibility exam for applying in different dental schools of USA.
- Its not like AIPG exam which is based on clearing exam and scoring a good rank and then goes with the process of counseling and on the basis of rank you get branch and college.
- But the scenario with National board is different, here clearing exam will work out for you a way to apply to different universities of USA which offers DDS and DMD degree.
Now coming back to the point ” Whats the selection criteria ? How do a dental school in USA gives us a call for interview ?
To answer this, you need to show how much is your over all involvement in dentistry. They will look into the following sections which are given below:-
1) NBDE exam score
2) TOEFL score
3) But the most important is your resume (CV)
I don’t want to emphasize much into point 1 and 2 cause that has already been discussed in many articles and they depend on your hard work and study strategy.
Here I want to highlight specifically point 3 which is about you resume which can maximize you selection chances.
THE THIRD POINT IS EMERGING AS THE MOST CRUCIAL POINT IN CAREER ADVANCEMENT BOTH IN INDIA & IN ABROAD
- So trust me guys when I came to know about all these points, I was totally blank as to what I should do to build up a strong resume for myself.
- To begin with I also want to bring into your notice that you need to work on all the above 3 points simultaneously. You can’t just clear your NBDE exams and TOEFL and then start working on your resume. Its a must that you keep working on all the 3 points in a parallel manner.
- For instance ,during you college time or internship start attending as many conferences as you can, which includes CDE programmes .These CDE programmes have credit points depending on duration of conference, for example one day CDE program will have 6 credits points, two day will have 12 and so on.
- Try to attend good conference which have renowned national and international speakers and guys don’t just waste your money for the sake of certificate. The interviewers in the USA dental colleges know that attending a conference is not a big deal as one just needs to pay the money. So they see the certificates and have specialists to ask you questions related to the CDE course that you have attended.
- So you need to listen to the lectures, keep a note of the points and be ready to answer the questions. You need to show how actively you are involved in dentistry apart from the regular curriculum. Try to be part of the conferences, learn new things, get involved, understand whats the goal of the conference, how is it conducted and the most important get yourself actively involved by doing paper and poster presentations.
- Trust me friends, doing presentations really holds a huge significance in the interview. You will get to learn many things and more importantly it ll help you to gain confidence..
- The next what you can do is write a review article or study and get it published in any significant (PubMed Indexed Journal), this will enhance you CV to the next level.
- You can also do few hands-on courses and those certificate will definitely help you a lot.
- Attend lots of camps and also try to be part of some NGO/Social work organisations and camps. Such activities has a lot of weight-age which shows that you are not just a dentist but a good and responsible citizen of your country.
See Next Slide to Know the Secret to Success in NBDE / DDS
What are the things that American Colleges Want from the Candidates ?
What they are looking for in your CV ?
See “next” slide of this article to know
In the last slide you read how can you improve your CV by some additional activities. A good CV doesn’t mean only having good scores. The colleges abroad (USA & Europe) look for some extra points that are mentioned in the 1st slide.
The Final Points :
In the end I would like to say to all the readers – These CDEs, paper and poster presentations, journal publications might seem a tad boring but once you start with all these things they will never go for waste.
It will be in resume forever whether you are in India or USA. Also I can bet on this that once youu get actively involved, you will see a different side of dentistry which is often not seen in regular college times.
You’ ll be exposed to new technologies and also you will be able to connect yourself to so many renowned dentist . You will get opportunity to learn about there success mantras and valuable experiences.
The exam of NBDE is not that hard, as you can prepare for it. It’s the competition which is more to be understood and analyzed. So more importantly you need to work hard, but with large doses of smartness.
You need to put yourself in the shoes of the interviewer and understand what they are looking for in a candidate.
In USA they want such kind of students who are overall involved in all the aspects of dentistry and who are also well differentiated from other dentists by their work.
In other words they are looking for the total package.
So start working today because it never late to start
Work hard and keep exploring the options… never sit back and relax… dentistry is all about getting advanced and updated each and every moment..
All the best …
DISCLAIMER : This article and it’c contents are the personal views of the author that he has shared with you all. In case of any doubts you can contact the author at “ firstname.lastname@example.org “
Read some more Amazing articles if you are interested to have a dental career in USA
For many Indian & Asian students who have finished their Dental Graduation , going abroad to countries like USA & CANADA and settling there as a professional dentist , is a big dream . But before venturing in to any such journey a clear cut & definite idea about all the rules , regulations and finances is very necessary .
When it comes to license requirements or application to international or advanced standing programs for foreign trained dentists, NBDE is by far considered the common denominator and the first step in this long process. As of now the NBDE exam consists of two parts and it’s administered by the ADA Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE).
But before venturing in to any such journey a clear cut & definite idea about all the rules , regulations and finances is very necessary . If one enters such a venture without proper planning & resources , it can cause lot of tensions .
Hey Doctors ,welcome back …. So this article is all about NATIONAL BOARDS DENTAL EXAMS (NBDE) starting from peer pressure, books, strategy till the applications form, evaluations and everything. The day we dream about doing DDS, a stream of questions just comes out from our mind like syllabus, books , procedure and then we end up with discouragements and underestimations due to ample of unanswered questions…..
For Indian/foreign dentists to practice in America,DDS is a must and then again DDS is not all that easy.Here is a little information that will help the aspiring ones settle down easily.Certain colleges in the US that offer Advanced Standing Program (DDS/DMD) to foreign trained dentists require at least NDEB (National Dental Examining Board) Part I.
Hi to all the docs. This article is written by By DR. ROLI RAJVANSI. DENTALORG.COM has brought to you all many articles on How to Settle in USA after BDS , NBDE & DDS .But the current article is perhaps one of the best articles on the topic as it is written & explained by one the dental surgeons who herself cleared all the hurdles , formalities , exams and finally joined DDS .