ARMY DENTAL CORPS: An Opportunity to join Indian Army as a Dentist
Army dental corps is the option for a dental student to join the Indian Army as a dentist and serve the nation.
It’s a beautiful organization to start with and a fantastic career option for a fresh dental graduate/post-graduate while looking onto the current state of dental jobs available. Also in terms of patient exposure, challenging cases in challenging conditions, job satisfaction, financial aspects and much more. Its the one chance for a civilian student to be part of the Indian Army. It is the only organization in India right now to provide so many dental jobs in a Govt. sector to dental graduates both UG and PG
How to Get Entry?
It can be through two modes:
(i) SSC(short service commission) or a,
(ii) DPC( Direct Permanent commission).
Of late SSC are being sought more by the Army Recruitment Board but the openings for permanent commission are also posted whenever there is a requirement as the Govt. or Army board decides.
Direct Permanent Commission
Short Service Commission
Short service commission officers can opt for Permanent commission during their service.
SSC officers tenure- 05 years, further extendable to 05 years and another 04 years.
Three chances are given to serving SSC officers for grant of the Departmental Permanent Commission.
Two chances can be availed after putting and active service of 2-4 years and the third chance can only be availed during the extended tenure of service but before completion of 8 years of service.
There have been changes to the process of selection after the adoption of NEET at an all India level for the MDS Entrance. Previously a candidate just had to apply with the final year BDS marks. A list used to be drawn based on the marks percentage and students were called for an interview following the list. But now that system has been modified!
Current selection steps in a quick overview:
- Only those candidates (BDS/MDS) who have appeared in the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test, NEET (MDS) conducted by National Board of Examinations (NBE), New Delhi, under the aegis of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, on 14thDec 2018, at various examination centers of NBE, are eligible to apply. It means you cannot even apply if you do not appear for the NEET MDS Entrance Examination for that year.
- Screening for Calling for Interview: Candidates are shortlisted for interview on the basis of the marks scored in the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test, NEET (MDS) conducted by National Board of Examinations (NBE), New Delhi, under the aegis of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. The list formulated will be utilized for screening candidates in the ratio of 1:10 to be called for interview, i.e. for each advertised vacancy candidates will be called for interview.
- Then the shortlisted candidates are called for Interviews and further processes like a medical checkup.
You can read details on the selection process of the Army Dental Corps for Dental Graduates and Dentists in the article below
A warm welcome to all dental students. Dentalorg.com has brought to you regular updates on Army Dental Corps. This article is collected from the experiences of the past candidates who appeared for the exam.
TERRITORIAL ARMY OFFICER IN INDIAN ARMY
Other than the Army Dental Corps, there is also an alternative way to enter the Indian army as a Territorial Army Officer. It’s a mode that many are not aware of and hence do not try for it. But you can read the basics below
If you have read all the articles above, then you know that cut off marks for the Army Dental Corps some times tend to be very high. And considering so many dental colleges with varying patterns of marking in different states, its difficult to get uniformly high marks in BDS graduation. Also, the NEET marks come in to play now!
So does that mean if you have not scored very high marks, your chance of joining the army is over?
The answer is NO.
You still have a chance to join the Indian Army as a Territorial Officer. Unlike the Army Dental Corps which is exclusively open for dentists only, a territorial army officer post is open for all the graduates from any stream.
Please note: The Post is also open for current and ex-defense personnel also.
Conditions of Eligibility:
- Nationality: Only citizens of India.
- Age Limits: 18 to 42 years.
- Educational Qualifications: Graduate from a recognized university.
- Employment: Gainfully Employed in Central Govt/Semi Govt /Pvt Firm/ Own business.
The selection process for the Civilian Candidates:
- Civilian candidates fulfilling the above eligibility criteria can apply online by using the Indian Army website www.joinindianarmy.nic.in in response to advertisements published in leading National Newspapers, Employment News and also available on the Indian Army website www.indianarmy.nic.in in May-June every year.
- Candidates whose application forms are found correct will be called for screening (written exam followed by interview only if passed in written exam) by a Preliminary Interview Board (PIB) by the respective Territorial Army Group Headquarters.
- Successful candidates will further undergo tests at a Service Selection Board (SSB), Medical Board followed by their Police Verification for final selection.
Conditions of Eligibility:
- Age Limits: 18 to 42 years other than a medical officer. 18 to 45 years of age for medical officers.
- Educational Qualifications: Graduation and appropriate technical qualification.
- Employment: Employment in Indian Railway / IOCL / HPCL / BPCL / ONGC.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE • Commission are granted in the rank of Lieutenant. • Pay and Allowances and privileges will be same as for Regular Army Officers when embodied for training and military service. • Promotions up to Lt Col by time scale subject to fulfilling laid down criteria. Promotion to Colonel and Brigadier by selection. • Officers commissioned in TA Infantry may be called out for military service for longer duration depending on the requirement.
EMBODIMENT FOR TRAINING One month of basic training in the first year of commission. Two months of annual training camp every year including the first year. Six months training of three each at TA training School and at IMA Dehradun within the first two years of commissioned service. All the training camps are aimed at improving the performance of the candidates.
For complete details on the Territorial Army See the article in the box below
This opening in Army is open for all the graduates from any stream including DENTAL GRADUATES . So all BDS , MDS , Practicing & working dental surgeons are also eligible for it .
The current slide covered all the points to work as an officer in the Indian Army. Check the relevant articles mentioned above.
See Next Slide to Know
The Scope of Civil Services for Indian Dentists
Go to Next Slide