Some Additional Quick Points on Army Dental Corps Selection Process
As we discussed in the previous slide, the first 5 steps towards ADC are as follows:
- Apply the online submission form within the stipulated time with all the required documents.
- Candidates should have secured a mandatory min of 55%marks in final year BDS (aggregate of all subjects)
- Shortlisting of the candidates for interview. The list of the candidates who are shortlisted for the interview is based on the marks secured in NEET (MDS)-2020 & other eligibility criteria
- Shortlisted candidates will be called to appear for an interview before a duly constituted Selection Board, at New Delhi to assess their suitability & merit for grant of Short Service Commission (SSC) in Army Dental Corps.
- The final merit list for Grant of SSC in the Army Dental Corps will be based on the performance in the interview alone.
- The candidates who qualify in the interview will be subjected to Medical Examination.
Hence, the first milestone that you need to reach, is till the stage of getting selected for the interview. The progress towards the final selection list completely depends on how you perfotm in the interview. If the interview goes well and you are selected, then you move to physical evaluation.
Candidates placed on the merit list after the interview by Selection Board will be brought before a Medical Board for ascertaining their Medical Fitness. The decision of the Medical Board will be final.
Candidates are advised in their own interest to undergo a preliminary medical checkup for wax in ears, DNS, defective color vision, overweight/underweight, piles, gynecomastia, tonsilitis, and varicocele before reporting for the SSC interview.
(Please check the medical section of the application form. It mentions the basic minimum criteria and other related points. For example, Pregnancy, if detected at any stage, after selection at interview or during pre-commission Medical Examination, will render the candidate as TEMPORARY UNFIT for grant of commission. The commission will be offered to the candidate after being declared medically FIT by the medical board)
What is the minimum expected height & weight?
- The minimum acceptable height with correlated weight for men is 157.5 cms & weight should be 49.5 Kgs.
- The minimum acceptable height with correlated weight for women is 152 cms & weight of 42 Kgs.
- In the case of candidates belonging to the North East and hilly areas like Gorkhas, Nepalese, Assamese, and Garhwalis, the height will be relaxed by 5 cms and weight commensurate with reduced height.
- There are policies on Body Tattoos also. Refer here.
Salaries and Benefits after selection
(As long as you continue in the Short Service Commission as mentioned in page number 8 of the form)
Selected candidates/ Civilian Dental surgeons will be granted Short Service Commission in AD Corps in the rank of Captain, from the date specified in the offer letter, subject to them being medically or otherwise FIT and will accordingly be entitled to full pay & allowances as applicable.
Tenure: The tenure of SSC Officers is five (05) years, extendable by another nine(09) years in two spells, first office (05) years and second of four(04) years (Total SSC tenure of fourteen (14) years) for those who are willing to continue, subject to availability of vacancies & meeting the laid down eligibility criteria for an extension as per extant policy guidelines.
- Civilian Dental surgeons on commission in AD Corps will be granted the rank of Captain in the pay scale, Level 10 B (Rs 61,300-1,93,900) of Defence Pay Matrix as elaborated in Army Pay Rules-2017 (7th Pay Commission).
- They will be entitled to Military Service Pay (MSP) of Rs. 15,500/- per month, Non-Practicing Allowance (NPA) at the rate of 20% of Basic Pay.HRA (if applicable) as per the category of the city, (i.e. X, Y, Z, where the officer is posted) and Dearness Allowance as admissible.
- Depending upon the rank & area of posting, officers posted to field areas are eligible for Field Area Allowance, High Altitude Allowance, Siachen Allowance, as applicable.
- Other Allowances applicable, as per the provisions, are: (a) Dress Allowance-On Commission, officers are entitled to Dress Allowance of Rs 20,000/- per Year 10 (b) Transport Allowance (TPTA) applicable for Level 9 & above per month @ Rs 7200+ DA thereon, for Higher TPTA cities &@ Rs 3600 + DA thereon, for other cities in accordance with the Government policy guidelines on the subject. (c) Children’s Education Allowance admissible @ Rs 2250/- per month per child for two children from nursery to class 12 in accordance with the Government policy guidelines on the subject. (d) PG Allowance MDS degree holders
Along with the salary, being an army dental corps comes with additional benefits entitled to army officers.
Dress Allowance of Rs 20,000/- per year. MDS degree holders will be eligible for a PG allowance of Rs. 2,250/- per month.
In addition to the above, Armed Forces provide free Medical Facilities for Self & dependents, Canteen facilities, Entitled rations (in Field areas only), Mess Club/Sports facilities, Govt. Accommodation, Car/Housing Loan at a subsidized rate.
We will discuss more on the benefits of SSC Army Dental Corps later in the upcoming slides
So, it’s apparent that the Army Dental Corps provides a respectable starting salary that keeps on increasing with regular increments (within the 14 years of SSC tenure) and other additional benefits. Now the most important aspect is how do you perform well in the interview?