ARE DENTISTS DOCTORS ?
Latest posts by Dr Chinmoy Hazarika (see all)
- NEW WAYS FOR DOCTORS TO MAKE 2017 AWESOME - January 12, 2017
- MY FIRST JOB AS A WORKING DENTIST: THINGS I LEARNT NOT TO DO - January 12, 2017
- ARE DENTISTS DOCTORS ? - January 3, 2017
This article is by Dr. Chinmoy Hazarika. In this post, he will be answering one of the most common questions that are faced by most of the dentists. Here he is trying to answer that question and change the perception of people asking the question – Are Dentists Doctors?
Are Dentists Doctors?
Is this even a question?
“Dentists are not Doctors.”
“You are a dentist, not a doctor.”
“You are just a dentist.”
Sounds familiar, right?
Each one of my colleagues has heard one of the above statements at least once in his/her career.
And not just by medical doctors/physicians/surgeons but also by lay people.
To make matters worse, popular movies and television shows like The Hangover and Roadies have been fueling this hair-brained myth among the public.
Such ideas are not only disrespectful to a great profession but also an insult to human intelligence.
It’s like saying, “It’s an omelet but not a poultry product!”
But now the question remains, why do people think so? Why so many people keep asking the same question? Does it need to be evaluated? Is there something wrong in the way we present our profession from the initial days?
#1. Why Do People Think So?
Honestly, there is no true answer! But still, we will like to probe into the thinking.
- It could be because people think dentists deal with comparatively less invasive procedures than medical surgeons do.
- Another reason could be the difference in duration of the professional courses for medical doctors and dentists.
- There is no mortality involved in our field of work. Hence dentists are considered to be underachievers since we do not “save people’s’ lives.”
- Plain ignorance (for lack of a more polite term).
If you see closely, many of these points arise from the ignorance of people about Dentistry in general. People are least bothered about their oral hygiene. Teeth and oral cavity are treated as a secondary organ until unless there is some pain. This attitude of negligence towards oral health is behind the deeply rooted negative and disrespecting psyche of people regarding Dentistry as an integral part medical science and Dentists as Doctors.