DENTAL PHOBIA : 10 REASONS WHY PEOPLE ARE SCARED OF DENTISTS ?
Latest posts by Deb (see all)
- TOP TEN MOST IDIOTIC MYTHS ABOUT DENTISTRY & DENTISTS - January 17, 2017
- TOP 10 INSANELY RICH DENTISTS IN THE WORLD - January 5, 2017
- HOW MY PARENTS MADE ME A DOCTOR ? - November 10, 2016
PHOBIA : It means some thing an Individual is afraid of.
And we as Dental Surgeons need to tackle on phobia in particular that is in direct conflict with our profession.
That phobia is
The Fear of Visiting a Dentist.
image Credits : imgur.com
So in this post we will decode the most common reasons
as to why so many people fear dentists ?
This knowledge of what the patients fear will give us ideas as to how we can reduce this fear and make the experience of the patients as comfortable as possible.
Benefits in Knowing about the
Dental Phobias of your patients
- By know about your patients dental phobias, you will be in a better position to reduce the fear.
- Reducing patient’s anxiety will build their trust in you and your dental set up.
- They will be more inclined to visit you in case of future dental needs and would happily recommend your dental set up to their friends and family. It will be very rewarding to the dentist financially and socially.
Let us start with the First Fear of Patients
Why People FEAR Dentists #1
The Needle & The Drill
Even if a patient has never been to a dentist’s clinic before, but he or she must have heard about the legendary myths of needles and syringes.
- By default people are scared of drills and needles that pierce and go inside the teeth or skin.
- Many people are very anxious of the sound of the drill.
- Many are so scared of Drill sound and Needle appearance that even before actually any procedure is done, they just jump in the dental chair and start making sounds.
This not only makes the treatment difficult but also increases the treatment time.
At the end both the patient and the dentist are at a loss.
This phobia is something that is very difficult to control because as a dentist cannot just stop using the drill. So, the best way to tackle phobia is to sit with the patient and explain him/her that proper pain control techniques will be taken by administering Local Aesthetic agents.
In this scenario the skill of a dentist to interact and make the patient comfortable matters a lot.
See Next for The 2nd & 3rd Reason
Why People Fear Dentists
Why People FEAR Dentists #2 –
The Fear of Pain
Is it Going to Pain ?
Though over the years dentistry has evolved a not scientifically and pharmaceutically, that not reduce the pain and bleeding but also help in post treatment healing. The anaesthesia has now become very potent providing the patients a very painless dentistry.
But the irony is inspite of being so many advancements, the phobia still persists. Partly due to low awareness among the patients regarding the advancements and partly due to believing the age old myths.
This fear is so strong that many people sit and wait with their paining and decayed rather than visiting the nearest dentist.
Why People FEAR Dentists #3 –
The Childhood Bad Experience at Dentist
Many times the fear of visiting a dentist for treatment stems from the painful dental experience the patient had as a child.
The impressions and fear that get ingrained in childhood, persist for a very long time.
Many times parents keep threatening their kids (when they get too naughty) that they will be taken to dentists. This constant reinforcement of fear of dentists – leads to life long fear of dentists.
Also there are definite incidences when as kids patients had a real horrible experience wt the dentist and that experience stays for a long time.
So, the moment a need to go a dentist comes up the latent hidden fear comes up making the patient immediately uncomfortable. This negative attitude the patient carries in to dental clinic also.
So even a simple use of mouth mirror become a big problem.
Pic Credit : imgur.com